Crispy breaded chicken katsu dipped in the most incredible hot red korean sauce. THE BEST!
Spicy Red Korean Sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 TBS rice vinegar substitute with white vinegar-but try to use rice vinegar!
- 1/8 cup plus 1 TBS sugar
- 1/8 cup honey
- 1/8 cup gochujang(korean hot sacue )
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced subsitute with dried ginger
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally(so 4-5 thinner pieces) if you want to use a full package of chicken double the sauce recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper(a pinch)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup golden breadcrumbs or japanese panko
- 1/4- 1/2 cup oil, for frying
Spicy Red Korean Sauce
- To a medium frying pan, add all sauce ingredients. Make sure the garlic and ginger are very finely minced.
- Place over medium high heat and bring to a boil(this should take a minute). Lower the heat a bit and let the sauce cook on a low boil for one minute- it will thicken slightly.Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally in half to about 1/2 inch in thickness. You don’t want them too thin(thus I don’t use already sliced chicken) but if they are extra thick they won’t fry properly. Optional- place a piece of wax paper over the sliced chicken and pound them to uniform thickness with a mallet.
- Lay out three plates.1.In one place the flour and season it with garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Mix to combine.2.In the second crack the eggs and give them a whisk.3.In the third pour the panko/breadcrumbs.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the flour, making sure it is coated completely. Then dip it into the egg and lastly into the breadcrumbs. Place all the coated chicken on a seperate plate.Heat up the oil in a frying pan- 1/4 to 1/2 cup oil, depending on the size of your pan. You’re going for a light fry here, not a deep fry. Once the oil is hot, fry the chicken until golden, flip, and fry the second side.
- Lay the chicken on a paper towel to catch some of the oil. When ready to serve, set your serving plate up with rice. Heat up the sauce and dip each piece of chicken, turning it to make sure the whole cutlet is coated red and saucy. MMM!Transfer the chicken to a cutting board(set this up right next to the pan so the sauce doesn’t drip everywhere. Slice the cutlet on the diagonal into thin strips. Keeping the shape of the cutlet, slide your knife under the slices and transfer it all at once on top of the rice.
- Garnish with black or white sesame seeds, and sliced green onion if desired. Enjoy!