Cuban Mojo Chicken is tender and juicy, every bite having a complex flavor of herbs, citrus, and spices. The citrus caramelizing on the grill makes the skin crispy while keeping the meat mouthwateringly delicious,
- 1 Orange zest and juice
- 3 Limes zest and juice
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Oregano Chopped
- 1 Cup Cilantro Chopped
- 6 Cloves Garlic Crushed and Chopped
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 3-4 Pounds Chicken
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a blender and process until smooth
- For a whole chicken, place chicken breast-side down, with the legs towards you. For individual pieces, skip to step #8
- Using kitchen scissors or shears cut along either side of the backbone to remove it, save the backbone for stock
- Break the wishbone with your knife
- Turn the bird breast side up and just press down with the palm of your hand to make it lay flat.
- Make a shallow incision at the joint between the drumstick and thighs
- Make a shallow incision at the joint between the wings and breast
- Place the chicken in a large bowl and pour on the marinade, ensure your cover the chicken completely. Marinate at least one hour and up to 24 hours.
- Pile the charcoal on one side of the grill, you don’t want the chicken to be directly over the flames.
- Place the chicken skin side up on the grill with the legs closest to the flames, but again, not over the flames
- Cover the grill and roast the chicken for 30-45 minutes, until and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh and the breast, reads 165F
- Wrap in foil, let rest for 10-15 minutes
PROCESS, for Oven Roasting
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, (line the pan with aluminum foil for easy clean up)
- Roast for 40 minutes, rotating pan halfway through
- Continue to rotate every 10 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer reads 165F in the thickest part of the thigh and the breast, but not touching a bone.
- Remove from the oven once it reaches 165F, brush lightly with olive oil, cover with foil and let rest for 10-15 minutes.